Friday, August 7, 2009

Don't Shoot the Messenger

*This is one of my super old musings on Valentine's Day last year...a fun piece I thought I'd share with you all*

So I have survived Valentine's Day as a "single girl" this year. It was odd, seeing that I hadn't been single on this day of days for many years, but happily enough I was ok with it. Not that I had much of a choice. My V-day consisted of me in Mollie Stone's after work with 5 cans of cat food for the furriest love of my life, Emma. I wasn't in a hurry and frankly was curious to what guys thought women wanted on this day.

As I stood there watching the flurry of activity surrounding me, I wondered, "is this what people go through to express their love? These expectations pushed upon us to be romantic and passionate?"I observed the panicked looks on the faces of men running amok in this overpriced grocery store trying to pick the right flowers, chocolates, champagne, cards, gifts etc. Confused looks were pretty rampant and maybe even a hint of fear of potential wrongdoing.One guy was trying to squeeze in line behind a guy with a larger bouquet and managed to decapitate half of the dozen red roses he had picked up.Dads were ordering their kids around like Valentine's Day for mom was a battle they had to train for.

What struck me as so strange was the fact that I was so oblivious to all of this until today. I mean really????? My god. What have we done to the idea, the philosophy of love?

Any girl who says she "hates" Valentine's Day is lying. Sorry girlfriend, you know you get a teensie bit jealous knowing your honey isn't going to be wearing his birthday suit for you that night, and those little kisses on the neck that you had swooned over in the past are missing this year. I say this because I am one of those naysayers when it comes to V-day. I hate the cheesy cards, the awful bouquets, rushed prix fixe dinners.
BUT....I miss the romance. The simple fact that you don't have someone to sneak your cold feet under when you're cold, or someone to help you rearrange your furniture in a moment of feng-sui inspiration. Romance isn't about the obvious displays of affection. In fact, I think romance is shown in the little ways. A look. A shared smile. A hug and no other expectation of anything in return. Putting the toilet seat down. Picking up his favorite cereal so he can have breakfast the next morning. Burning a CD of cheesy songs. Those things are the true calling cards of what Valentine's Day tries to celebrate.

For those who don't know how or need a bit of a nudge to celebrate your love for someone, remember this:

"..the only love which has lasted is the love which has everything, every disappointment, every failure and every betrayal, which has accepted even the sad fact that in the end there is no desire so deep as the simple desire to be together". ---- Graham Greene

No comments:

Post a Comment